Saturday, August 26, 2023

A cool Saturday evening

This is a moment from Thursday afternoon. The heat index was 115.


There was a certain glee around the neighborhood today, though, something about a temperature drop of what felt like 40 degrees. And rain. Don’t forget the rain. Jerry and I went out to take a walk just after dawn and he commented on how humid it felt. He was gone the past two weeks and missed the spectacularly hot weather. I said this was the most refreshing morning since last Sunday; then we went for a ramble in the rain.

Yesterday I watched the goldfinches panting as they fluttered about in the dogwood. I had water “stations” set out for any wee creature that needed them and a birdbath and I stood waiting for them to come down, but the breeze was in the tree, so they went for relief there.

Today though, with the rain the yard was alive. I got distracted watching a Titmouse family eating seeds off the lilacs and the cardinals (molting!) tried to get them to stop. The drama didn’t last long. I think something may have been said about the cardinal’s bald head and bad feelings. Maybe I’m projecting.

Here’s a poem I read recently that felt right to share for Papa Bear, Dean Husted. And feels right to share here on a cool Saturday evening.  When by Rebecca Baggett from The Woman Who Lives Without Money:






1 comment:

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Enter freely and of your own will

Classes were scheduled to start on Tuesday, January 16th, unfortunately, that first day saw the school closed due to cold and snow. So all c...