Saturday, September 24, 2022

Beautiful and light

The past few days while we’ve been out on our walk, out rambling about town, Monarchs have been floating by. It’s migration time. I get easily distracted as we go, watching the butterflies. And the squirrels hoarding acorns, the hawk hoarding squirrels and the one flat cat I’ve seen a couple of miles away from here. And then the one house on Vine always has cats hanging about so there is the cat fix. And we do have a new black cat in the neighborhood; she is definitely someone’s pet, and she is beautiful and shy.

We went from temperatures in the high 90’s on Wednesday and Thursday (add humidity ☹) to 60° on Friday. Ah. Today was a bit of a boomerang but next week it looks like Fall weather as we head toward October. Which is where I bring in the Saint Louis Cardinals baseball team, as they move toward October and post-season. Not that I watch baseball anymore or follow it very closely (the game is too slow, the season too long and there are too many teams. Mediocrity is rampant.). That’s not the important thing, the important thing is the team’s Albert Pujols. Yesterday in Los Angeles he hit career homerun number 700. In my record book this puts him in the number three spot for career homeruns. In the official record book, he’s at number four. (I don’t count Barry Bonds. He can have the number one spot with a giant performance enhancing asterisk! And for the record, Pete Rose should never be allowed in the Hall of Fame.) 

But, Albert Pujols, at 42, his final year, is having a great season. I will cheer for him every time. I was happy to see him get that hit. I loved his smile and the post-game interview with his family. 

Beautiful and light as a monarch.


(Photo: Gary A. Vasquez, USA TODAY Sports)

 

I imagine myself one of these orange
angels, rising on the first cool breeze
close along the tree’s crown where I say
nothing. I do not worry about my name
or feelings or even if I will make it the thousand
miles home. I’m a puzzle piece, content to fit
here. Here. In the sun my whole-body glows
with a music, there are a many songs today
covering the world. None matter
that much. As long as we journey
and sing, some of us will survive.

1 comment:

  1. My sister, in Rhode Island, is on a migration pathway. She sent me a photo of a monarch when she took a walk in Beavertail State Park. Lovely. Welcome Autumn!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Enter freely and of your own will

Classes were scheduled to start on Tuesday, January 16th, unfortunately, that first day saw the school closed due to cold and snow. So all c...