Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Past, present, future

Saturday, we drove to Columbus (Ohio), it was a chilly day, ice lined the route, the trees throughout were glittering disco fever flashes of brilliance. Aside from the crazy detours through Indianapolis (would it be too difficult to tell people at what exit your detour ends?) and the panic that accompanies this detour madness (note to drivers, you eventually can get back on your route even if you somehow end up downtown). I think that they should start with signs like they do in the West where the detour is mentioned and then the warning DO NOT FOLLOW YOUR GPS. I love that, it should always be followed by abandon all hope. I think we have it figured out now.

We went to Columbus for an engagement party for those two crazy kids, Ian and Justine, on Sunday. Though they have been engaged for a while, 2020 took a chunk of time out of planning things. A wonderful party for family and friends, a small gathering that was really nicely done and was full of music and laughter. Thank you to the parents of the groom, two hearts to them 💗💗 and the extended family for planning and execution. The next big thing will be Ian and Justine going to Iceland to be married. May the Northern Lights burn bright while you are there, the glaciers glow and the Hákarl, be tangy.



And today, having driven home yesterday, we have a day so warm that I have had the windows open since late morning. This morning around the feeders the usual suspects – Carolina wren, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted titmouse, house wren, cardinals, starling, blackbirds, robins, blue jays – were all out preening their slimness on a day they did not have to fluff against the cold. I had my yard cam out last night as I had a leftover muffin with egg that had ridden on the car all morning, so I cut it up and placed it under the pine with a couple of questionable grapes. I only got one picture as the batteries were too low. But it was a nice shot of a raccoon looking up at something.



Today I have been working on a “cure” for the fact that we took the satellite radio out of the car. We have had a battery low problem for months, something that was causing this alert to come on all the time. Neither Volvo dealer could find a problem, an alert, or an error. And one day while waiting for Jerry I noticed that the car kept trying to reconnect to the satellite after it had been shut off. After a bit of research, we had the satellite radio subscription stopped. (Thank you, Google) Since there has been no issue with the battery saying it was low. So, we can download music to our phones and podcasts, but I am also exploring using an older device (no, not my Walkman!) an Amazon Fire Phone I last used in 2017. I think it will be perfect for music and podcasts and can just stay in the car. I am sure we have an old iPod somewhere in the house but do not think it would have presented the challenge the Fire did. When it finally came back to life (IT’S ALIVE!) I remembered some of its features, and shortcomings but I think it will be fine.

And now, it is time to listen to the State of the Union address. We know the state of the world, we know the state of our hearts. Let us see what the President has to say.

Be safe, be kind.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen a sign that says "Do not follow your gps" but I like it!

    Fermented shark! with the description (google search) of ammonia and a strong fishy taste, it sounds about as palatable as lutefisk (which someone who ate it every holiday gathering told me was only swallowable with a shot of aquavit out of the freezer...)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Enter freely and of your own will

Classes were scheduled to start on Tuesday, January 16th, unfortunately, that first day saw the school closed due to cold and snow. So all c...