Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Time that hunts you, time that is calamity

 

Between rain drops and horrible heat last week I finally got around to reading Cormac McCarthy’s Border Trilogy, All The Pretty Horses, The Crossing, and Cities of the Plain. I’d read The Road and No Country for Old Men, so was ready for action and memorable characters and philosophizing, and some hard and violent acts. At the end of Cities, I was just wishing for Billy Parham to get one break, good god. I have been on the waitlist to get Blood Meridian, (why not continue on with Cormac) but, I made the mistake of looking for the few interviews he did over the years and ran across this at The Paris Review (https://www.theparisreview.org/the-art-of-fiction-no-223-cormac-mccarthy) and it has broken me. I laughed aloud; it does delight me. The day after I was at the gym (too hot to walk outdoors, mean temp 111) and tried to listen to the opening of Blood Meridian. Oh, no! Damn you Paris Review! It reminds me of the early 90s when The Bridges of Madison County was so popular, but I didn’t read it when it was burning the bestseller lists down, had no desire to, but enjoyed the many parodies. Right before the movie was released I read it, and found eye-rolling, over-the-top, giggle-inducing writing: “He was an animal. A graceful, hard, male animal who did nothing overtly to dominate her yet dominated her completely, in the exact way she wanted that to happen at this moment.” (Snort!)

            I didn’t like the characters in the book, but the movie found a way to make them sympathetic.

            After all McCarthy’s testosterone and myth, I reread North Woods by Daniel Mason, because it is just so lovely. Now on to a pile of poetry books!

            Side note: we’ve had about 10 inches of rain locally in the past week. We’re higher here than some places so we’ve been okay. Yesterday I noticed that a brace of ducks over at the middle school enjoying a low area that is made to catch any runoff water. It was as full as I’ve ever seen, and they were having a great time.

            The sunflower is from a couple of years ago. Nothing fancy.

1 comment:

  1. I've never read Cormac, I always thought it would be too depressing. Same with the movies.
    I never read Bridges of Madison County either, though R and I watched the movie in the late 90's and it became Our movie, or at least the one I watch again Every year in June..for the one line...This kind of certainty comes but just once in a lifetime. Sometimes a single line rises above anything else when it reaches out and exemplifies your own experience.
    I am glad you are above the water
    and always, I love the sunflower! Mine never made it this year...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

This and that

     I’ve been packing Jerry for trips since 1985. It started innocently enough the day he was set to PCS (Permanent change of station) he c...