Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Normal ogres are enough

It is always a wondrous event when the first firefly I see is somehow, inexplicably spotted in the house. A flash at the edge of the room, a glow for a moment beside the window, and then the creature zips over and lands beside me. Hello. I scooped her up, opened the door, and ushered her out. See you later. I haven’t seen any outside as it grows dark. Of course, the rain has been pretty heavy late in the day. Tonight, it should be dry and quiet.

This morning, my first day without homework or classes, I attacked the forsythia. It grows like Jack’s Beanstalk, and I don’t need any giants getting down here. Normal ogres are enough. So, I decided to take it almost to the ground, it felt good to cut it back and according to the gardening information must be done before July and between rains. This shrub is at the corner of the house next to the raised bed where I am happy to report the tomatoes have survived! Huzzah. They don’t look super, but they will pick up. Tomorrow, I need to get the spirea off the house and trim the dead stalks from the hydrangea and check the lilacs. I’m a little behind on the yard maintenance of certain things. Today I also went and got hanging baskets (petunias) for the front of the house now that all the shrubs there have been cut back (not by me but by a brother lawncare team), I also moved the teal fox back to a place of prominence. I have placed two begonias back onto the front porch and the geraniums, both of which are at least three years old, and I just repot and propagate. The other two begonias are staying inside this year, true houseplants.

I’m working on a poem inspired by the Italian painter, Giotto di Bondone’s Lamentation from the Arena Chapel in Rome. I have never been to this chapel, but I will go next time I’m in Rome. We’ll see how it goes, getting the actions or inactions of the angels right will be key. Anyway, here are some yard scenes and my indulgence: cut flowers.






1 comment:

  1. Your place looks so manicured! You already have tomatoes! Oh my. I haven't planted anything yet that requires us to be past the last frost. I think we finally are, but I've been focusing on other outdoor priorities first. The burning window is really contracted this year and I have stickery plants that I need to turn to ash as much as I can before it gets too dry. Mmmm........Spring!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Enter freely and of your own will

Classes were scheduled to start on Tuesday, January 16th, unfortunately, that first day saw the school closed due to cold and snow. So all c...