Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Matriculation

 

Last Monday, the 22nd of August, I became a student at Southwestern Illinois College. This move has been planned (in planning) since April. I attend classes on the Belleville campus three days a week. Over the years (so many years) I had taken a class here or there but there was never any plan. Now I have an advisor and I have a plan. The highlight, so far, has been the people. My fellow students are fun, motivated. The people who work on campus, in support roles, are all so helpful, and the instructors are interesting and honestly seem concerned for their students. Of course, the librarians rock. One observation I have is that most people don’t chat between classes, they look at their phones.

During the first day of one class, while we did quick introductions, one woman said she liked all music “except country!” and the young woman next to her said, “What about Dolly Parton?” The consensus in the room was Dolly Parton is her own genre. I loved that.

We are the Blue Storm, our mascot is the Himalayan Snow Leopard.

My sweet Bambina sent me the bookmark and Post-It notes.


In my first paper for Sociology I wrote about poverty. I told Jerry I used Nick Saban, University of Alabama head football coach, in an example. He told me that Nick Saban is a saint and that he makes miracles.


The man makes an annual salary of $11.7 million and shills for Aflac. I got a "good job" for equating wages with worth and citing another source outside of our reading. 

No football coaches were harmed.


2 comments:

  1. Blue Storm and a Himalayan Snow Leopard! I don't think I've heard of any name/mascot as cool. Loved the Dolly Parton comment. So what are you taking, besides sociology. Are you taking a full course load? Degree planned? I LOVED being in school as an older adult. The two years that I finished up my degree via distance learning from Pocatello while Roger was working on his doctorate where wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Enter freely and of your own will

Classes were scheduled to start on Tuesday, January 16th, unfortunately, that first day saw the school closed due to cold and snow. So all c...