Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Hieroglyphic messages

Yesterday, the lake was half-size. Dust and clouds and snow creating the optical illusion that only a thin line of water existed. This morning with the wind’s rest, the lake is full and wide and full of shimmer. In the sun, with more blue sky than not, I was pelted with snow as I walked the lakebed. Winter Ridge has fresh snow, but not much and less than yesterday.

One always wonders if a place that you love can ever get better. I mean sure the views, the quiet, the birds, the views, the stars, the focus, the ease, the views that’s why I come. But is that all, says one so fortunate. This year there are Turkey Vultures roosting in the trees outside the lodge. Hard not to say things just got a lot better. I wander over in the evening to look at them, they’re like, great, tourists. But they are wonderous. And more polite than the flicker that has been peeping in my window. I think he’s actually just admiring himself in the reflection and occasionally practicing dance moves. If I was that beautiful, I’d appreciate me too.

Here's a weak hand poem from the weekend:

At daybreak, literally as sun rises
over the spine of mountain
I’m on the Playa; on the cracked
surface run through with a thousand
small notes from rain, wind, coyote,
bird: whatever is blown or walks
or flies, writes something here.
Water rises and falls leaving hieroglyphic
messages as it seeps away, evaporates,
leaves the West.


1 comment:

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Enter freely and of your own will

Classes were scheduled to start on Tuesday, January 16th, unfortunately, that first day saw the school closed due to cold and snow. So all c...