Wednesday, February 16, 2022

My distraction

My distraction is blackbirds letting the wind hold them in flight, just a quiver of movement at the edge of the field, a whole flock suspended over the cattail-lined ditch. My distraction is the swirling leaves holding a dervish moment right in front of me. My distraction is the five gray squirrels at the pine, ground level a solid ribbon of motion up and down, chasing around, around, around; I dizzy just watching. My distraction is the clouds picking up their petticoats and racing toward the horizon, long rainlegs hurdling sweet gum and maple. Today I passed under the lilac and saw the faint trail that leads from their bare arms down toward the little draw where foxes and deer traverse. My distraction was I didn’t follow.


Today's weak hand writing exercise:

What is this need to witness the day’s first
light listening for whatever bird is near. What
is it about wind through a pine that makes me sixteen
again, alone beside a dark blue lake when the breeze
started a chorus of song throughout the thousand trees
and I thought yes, this is what I want.

2 comments:

  1. I love this image "the clouds picking up their petticoats and racing toward the horizon, long rainlegs hurdling sweet gum and maple"
    and your writing exercise today speaks to me, as I greet the arrival of the day and oh my goodness yes, the breeze in the pines.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Enter freely and of your own will

Classes were scheduled to start on Tuesday, January 16th, unfortunately, that first day saw the school closed due to cold and snow. So all c...