Monday, November 1, 2021

Welcome November

Last week I noticed that Dark-eyed Juncos are back. I love watching these snappily dressed little birds and now throw a handful of seed out for them, though the amount that is dropped from the feeders would probably be fine. And then Saturday when I was out giving the jays some peanuts there was a bald eagle making lazy loops very low, around the cul-de-sac, not something I see a lot in my neighborhood, usually I see them far off in transit. And then just yesterday the blackbirds that fly over morning and night are busy with their work. I wrote this last year:

I want to say the hundred blackbirds landing
on the golden tree and the too bright half-moon
hung over the pine and the breeze that feels
new and fresh over the world are positive signs.


And I suppose it is all about the coming cold (frost will be here tonight or tomorrow), the light that is already too late in the morning and heading home much too soon in the afternoon. Those ends of the year things we roll into are popping up too. Today we went to the eye doctor, our third in three years as we try to find “our” doctor. I think we found our guy. He and Jerry bonded over SEC football (his son is at Mississippi State, getting a degree as a golf pro, that ‘s a thing, we looked it up). And we liked the vibe and care in the office, which is slightly important too. I also like that the office is just about a mile away, so we can walk over.

And once home, I brought the plants into the garage that have been adoring the heat and sun all summer. I’ll cut them back, repot and then bring them inside, no cats to avoid this year.

All day I’ve been trying to focus on a residency that I’m applying for, trying to rethink how and why and what. I’ve relooked other statements I’ve written before, but this seems different. It’s like the nearly two years of being so away from the world makes it hard to consider getting back in…and articulate why. Trying to deep think it I was helped by the picture of the inside of my eye which resembles a fantastic river system or a weird tree. It seemed to lead me places. I must ask the doctor if I can have a copy. But I’ve a few weeks to consider how to do this. And so many long nights to dream on it.

Be safe, take care, welcome to November.



2 comments:

  1. Those eye images Are interesting! I was on the road all day yesterday so my 1st day of November went by with less attention/intention than I might have hoped for. Still time though, to peer through the thin veil, honor the dead, prepare for the going within time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. M.E.,

    I so enjoy and appreciate your observations of the world just outside your door. I, too, just noticed the return of the juncos in the past week.

    Dwight B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Enter freely and of your own will

Classes were scheduled to start on Tuesday, January 16th, unfortunately, that first day saw the school closed due to cold and snow. So all c...