Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Why light a way


Ursula

She doesn’t see the light and yet I still share it with her:
a large owl shaped vase bursting with colors, a string of bulbs
the perfect size to fill its belly and create bright eyes
that look at me tenderly without sorrow or pity.
Why light a way for a blind cat that is dying?
 
It’s all I can do today.
 
She walks into the room and quietly
waits for me to speak so she can move forward.
Her eyes still searching, her tail raises and she purrs.
She cuddles on my lap this is how I know she is changed:
not a lap cat, not a cuddler.
 
I hold her until I know she is done
her nature is to be solo and I place
her on a chair. She curls
into sleep, runs through dreams;
misses every wall.

~~M.E. Hope

1 comment:

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Enter freely and of your own will

Classes were scheduled to start on Tuesday, January 16th, unfortunately, that first day saw the school closed due to cold and snow. So all c...