Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Lost at the Big Box Building Supply Store

Though I wasn’t really lost I did have specific things I was searching for and in this particular store you can order a house that will be delivered for you to assemble (à la Sears Modern Homes or Wardway Homes from Montgomery Wards) or buy a gallon of milk. Sometimes direction is needed.


Menards Garden Section, retaining walls and paving stones
 
I appreciate the young man, Alec, who steps off his forklift
to help me at the building store. About the age of my son,
an easy smile and can I help you? The yard is dusty and growing
hot and we search the alleys for the stone I want.
He says it’s here I know and so I follow asking how’s your day,
noting that he too is lost in this search. When he apologizes
for not finding it, when he turns to go (to find someone else) I tell him to stay safe,
have a nice day and thanks, again. And on turning I’m right in front
of what I was looking for, so I call It was right here!
And I thank him again for his help. And he smiles and waves. 

Talking to a stranger in those few minutes
(though less and less I understand this)
is also what I was looking for.



1 comment:

  1. Sometimes we get what we need in addition to what we were looking for in the first place. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Enter freely and of your own will

Classes were scheduled to start on Tuesday, January 16th, unfortunately, that first day saw the school closed due to cold and snow. So all c...