Tuesday, January 5, 2021

If I could talk to the animals

On cold mornings filled with sun the birds are at home on the high branches; I caught this lone lady cardinal, sunning. It wasn’t warm yet, but yesterday was foggy most of the day, so she welcomed the sun. And I’m glad that she made me look up, the sky was clear, there were songs from all directions.  Over by the lonely pine the moon was still hanging out keeping the tree company. I was worried the other morning when this tree was weighed down with ice, it was almost like those people you see who are burdened and then something extra has been added on, bending them down. I think we’ve all been bent in that way, at times, sometimes for long stretches. It’s why I look up when I go out in the morning, looking for some special sight, maybe a particular tune. The past few weeks I’ve noticed that the squirrels have this plaintive call, that almost sounds like a plea. Whenever I hear it now, I have to find the squirrel and ask are you okay? Today when I asked, I swear the squirrel hissed and spit at me. Clearly, I have no idea about animal chatter. Be safe, be kind, look up and don’t ask squirrels questions, they’re prickly.




2 comments:

  1. What kind of squirrels do you have there? eastern grays? Love the cardinal. So many buds on that tree she is in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have Fox Squirrels which are bigger and a nice reddish color. I've seen them mostly when we camp, but there are some in the wooded area about half a mile from here; I've never seen them around the houses.

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Enter freely and of your own will

Classes were scheduled to start on Tuesday, January 16th, unfortunately, that first day saw the school closed due to cold and snow. So all c...