Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Bangs and flashes

To end 2015 we were in Bratislava, Slovakia. The city is ultra charming. I had a friend back in Belgium whose fiancé was from the city and he had spent a great deal of time there and recommended places and things. My research had told me we wanted to try Bryndzové halušky (dumplings with sheep's cheese) and he gave me the name of a good restaurant. From our hotel the restaurant was across the street; because it snowed periodically (and was just “damn cold” the rest of the time) a meal that close was very welcome.

New Year’s Eve we ate well and headed into the night for fireworks. It was cold (Jerry kept telling me) and windy. Fireworks were over Bratislava Castle and the Danube. Crowds gathered along the river and over the “UFO Bridge”.  We were down from the main throng because we’ve been world travelers in many places before, and after, terrorist attacks so we avoid the bigger crowds. We won’t not go, but we are also very paranoid – we like to say realistic and cautious. It was a good night, great people watching and then a cold hike back to the hotel. 



January 1st, 2016 was (more) cold and most things closed in the city. We ventured out for air (“Too cold!” said the man) and then huddled in the room nibbling snacks, reading and watching BBC shows. January 2nd, I went down to get our coffee and breakfast rather than eat in the dining room. I smiled as I got in the elevator because every day the rug was changed to tell you the day of the week in six languages. As I was returning with my tray, ready to imprint Saturday in my mind in Slovenian ("Sobota, Sobota"), I noticed a TV news program in the lobby with men wearing cowboy hats and carrying guns. Letters underneath said something about somewhere in Oregon. Great, I thought, just what we need at the beginning of the year more gun nuts in the West. Back in the room over coffee and fruit, bread and jam, I read about the Malheur Refuge Siege. Another stellar moment, America. Thanks.

I thought about this because of 1A on NPR today. The subject was the election and militias. I want to understand the phenomenon but when I hear the militia argument, I usually only hear the noise of “right to own guns”, which without nuance or overthinking means "no rights outside my own"; The notion that if I’m not happy force is the answer. Damn your rights, opinion or voice. So this is what it comes down to right before the election. Quarantine to stay safe from the virus and the plan to lay low after November 3rd to stay safe from the crazy. Once again, thanks, America.

And the plus side is I get to remember this: 


1 comment:

  1. I was working on the Malheur National Forest when the occupation occurred. Fortunately I took a temporary assignment in Alaska soon afterwards so escaped the early impacts.
    My first thought was that if the occupiers had been people of color the gov't would have gone in and ended it, forcefully, right away.
    Now I work in Sagebrush rebellion country. Trump flags are prevalent and I haven't seen any others.
    Not holding my breath, but still holding a small flame in the dark.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Enter freely and of your own will

Classes were scheduled to start on Tuesday, January 16th, unfortunately, that first day saw the school closed due to cold and snow. So all c...